How PM Modi's 2019 swearing-in ceremony was different from 2014
NEW DELHI: After capping a landslide election victory in the Lok Sabha elections, Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his council of ministers took oath of office on Thursday at Rashtrapati Bhavan in a two-hour long ceremony.
A number of heads of state and government, constitutional authorities, diplomats, senior political leaders, government officials, artists and media persons attended the ceremony.
Here's a look at how this year's ceremony was different from the one held in 2014, when Modi was sworn-in for his first term.
* Number of guests: As many as 8,000 guests, including VVIPs, attended the swearing-in ceremony of PM Modi and his council of ministers on Thursday. In 2014, a gathering of about 4,000 guests witnessed the then President Pranab Mukherjee administer oath of office to Narendra Modi.
In a grand ceremony with overtones of a US presidential inauguration, heads of state and government, India Inc honchos, opposition leaders, BJP members and showbiz stars rubbed shoulders as they watched President Ram Nath Kovind administer the oath of office to India's 58 new ministers.
Rashtrapati Bhavan kitchen's specialty 'Dal Raisina' will be served to foreign delegates in a dinner to be hosted by President Kovind to dignitaries after the function.
* Foreign leaders at the ceremony: Leaders of member states of Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) attended PM Modi's swearing-in ceremony this year. Member countries of BIMSTEC include Bangladesh, Bhutan, Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Thailand besides India. President of Bangladesh Abdul Hamid, Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena, Nepal Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli, President of Myanmar U Win Myint and Bhutanese Prime Minister Lotay Tshering attended the ceremony. Thailand sent special envoy Grisada Boonrach to represent the country.
Kyrgyz President and current chair of Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) Sooronbay Jeenbekov, and Mauritius PM Pravind Kumar Jugnauth were also present at the event.
In 2014, when Modi was sworn-in for his first term, all the Saarc leaders, including the then Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif attended the ceremony as part of invitations extended to all the member countries of the South Asian grouping.
*出席仪式的外国领导人: 孟加拉湾多领域技术经济合作倡议（BIMSTEC）成员国领导人出席了莫迪总理今年的就职仪式。除凤凰彩票外，孟加拉国、不丹、缅甸、尼泊尔、斯里兰卡、泰国等均为BIMSTEC成员国。孟加拉国总统哈米德、斯里兰卡总统西里塞纳、尼泊尔总理奥利、缅甸总统温敏、不丹首相洛塔·策林出席了仪式。泰国派出特使Grisada Boonrach作为代表。
* No Pakistan presence at the function: The government in New Delhi invited leaders from BIMSTEC countries to PM Modi's inauguration, leaving out Pakistan, which is not a member of the regional grouping. In 2014, all the Saarc leaders, including the then Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif attended the swearing in as part of invitations extended to all the member countries of the south Asian grouping.
But relation with Pakistan soured mid-term and hit its nadir after the Pulwama attack in February which was followed by India's aerial strikes on terror camps in Balakot in Pakistan.
Pakistan, however, tried to play down India's decision not to invite Imran Khan for Modi's swearing-in, claiming that India's "internal politics" did not permit Modi to extend an invitation to his Pakistani counterpart.
* Cabinet strength: A total of 24 Union ministers took oath today along with PM Modi at the Rashtrapati Bhavan. 24 ministers of state and and 9 ministers of state (independent charge) were also sworn in by the President at the Rashtrapati Bhavan, taking the strength of ministers to 57 compared to 46 in 2014.
In 2014, the then President Pranab Mukherjee had administered oath of office and secrecy to Modi along with 24 Cabinet ministers, 12 ministers of state and 10 ministers of state with independent charge.
*内阁人数: 今天共有24名联邦部长宣誓随莫迪总理一同在总统府宣誓就职。24名邦级部长和9名独立提名的部长也在总统的主持下宣誓就职, 共有57名部长宣誓就职，2014年为46名。
* Duration of ceremony: The swearing-in ceremony started at 7pm today and lasted for about two hours. In 2014, the ceremony had started at 6pm. But this time, the timing was changed due to the heat conditions in the national capital.
译文来源：凤凰彩票 /47748.html 译者：Jessica.Wu
Abhijit • Hyderabad • 16 hours ago
I wonder why did they invite the useless Gandhi clan.what is their contribution and relevance ?
Also we must now make every minister answerable. No more talk. Only work.
Sdas • 16 hours ago
India''s western neighbor thinks anything their newspaper writes, the world will believe. At least their gullible readers might accept but they should know the difference between Narendra Modi and a puppet - Imran Khan. Modi invites WHOMSOEVER he wants ( not guided by the Indian Army ) and the puppet cannot even change his shirt without army / isi approval. So keep fooling yourselves terroristan.
Ajit Leo • India • 16 hours ago
The swearing-in ceremony and invitations to many heads of states except Pakistan mean a strong message to Pakistan. Modi showed Pakistan that if they gel with India that will be better for them if they mess with India that will be bad for them.
Pbch Chowdhuri • India • 16 hours ago
Imran Khan must be envying Nawaz Sharif''s luck.
Blackbelt • Karachi • 16 hours ago
Now that Sonia & Rahul are simple MPs of Khangress, why cant we shift them to a Govt style MP house & kick out all of them including Sonia, Pappu, Priyanka, Robber Vadra from expensive 10 Janpath.mansions which are being paid by poor Indian tax payers. 3 separate mansions are being occupied by Sonia begum, Pappu and Robber Vadra and his wife.
I dont want peoples tax money to be spent on these undeserving crooked corrupt people
Rajdeep • Sangrur • 16 hours ago
He is Our Supreme Leader
Kamalakanta • 16 hours ago
Ramesh Kumar • 16 hours ago
Congrats Modiji , live long for progress India
Vande • 14 hours ago
jai ho modi
the best pm
Truth Truth • 16 hours ago
Mr. Modi congratulations for second inning, this is your time you can play whatever way you want but remember time turns around, history is evident of it. <br>
you know better than us how you won this election with thumping majority. You came into power through communal polarisation and poison of hate.This formula itself is SLOW POISON which ultimately and slowly hurt very badly to whole country. I am not sure how future generation will remember you. God Bless India. Jai Hind
Truth Truth • 15 hours ago
Working for 2024? Please accept the reality and ask your leader to stop giving bad words to others
Ganesh Dore • 16 hours ago
Why was the lighting so poor . ? Did not look great on TV.
Ganesh Dore • Hyderabad • 14 hours ago
Cost cutting.Government has no money and needs 3 Lakh crores to jump start Indian economy.
Indian • 15 hours ago
And we will bear the expense for these so called rich guest.
Sanmesh p • vadodara • 9 hours ago
The moment for which all true Indians were eagerly waiting for and campaigned selflessly for last so many months and it''s here
richard penn • Hyderabad • 14 hours ago
Don''t know what he has done for Maha in the last 5 years?
Rajiv Kankala • 15 hours ago
Ravindran M • INDIA • 7 hours ago
Could not see the Vice President among the guests --
Regular Guy • 12 hours ago
What about Afghanistan ?